With a bit of planning, you have the opportunity to make a gift that will have a great impact on the University and support both your personal and philanthropic objectives equally. The following gift planning options have special advantages such as increased tax benefits or a current income stream. At the same time, you can enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that your gift will provide vital future support for students, faculty, facilities, or programs throughout the University. To show our gratitude, all donors who support the University through a planned gift are invited to join the Phoenix Society and are recognized in an annual Honor Roll (unless anonymity is requested).
Gifts that Provide Income
A Charitable Gift Annuity may appeal to you if you are interested in making a gift to the University and would like the dependability of a fixed annual income. In exchange for a gift of $10,000 or more in cash or securities, the University will provide a fixed, guaranteed income to you and/or your spouse for life.
A Charitable Remainder Trust is another way to plan for your future and that of the University. A gift of $100,000 or more in cash, securities or real estate allows you to establish a trust that will make variable payments to you and other income beneficiaries, if you wish, for life. The fact that payments from a charitable remainder trust have the potential to increase over time can serve as a useful hedge against inflation.
Making a Bequest to the University is a simple way to leave a lasting legacy. Made with cash, securities, real or personal property, a charitable bequest is fully deductible for estate tax purposes. You may designate a specific sum or asset, provide for a fixed dollar amount or gift a residuary of your estate to the University.
Designating the University as a beneficiary of a portion or all of your 401k, IRA or other retirement plan can be beneficial to your heirs as well as the University. Using a retirement account to make a gift to the University also frees up other assets that may not carry such burdensome tax consequences—such as cash and securities—to leave for children and other family members.
Please note: Information found on this page is intended to provide general information an is not intended as legal advice nor should be relied upon as such.
Denise Chan Gans
Office of Gift Planning
5235 South Harper Court
Chicago, IL 60615
Contact other gift planning staff.
- Read the latest newsletters.
- Be flexible with a gift annuity.
- Learn how to limit your exposure to the 3.8 percent Medicare surtax with a charitable remainder trust.
- Calculate how gift planning can benefit your financial and philanthropic goals.
- View the latest gift annuity rates.
- Have you exercised today? Find out if a planned gift is right for you.
- Learn more about the Phoenix Society and join the discussion on Facebook.
- Test your wits and play PhLinko at the Phoenix Society tent during Alumni Weekend. Tweet your success at #UChiAW14.
- Phoenix Society members will reunite for the Celebration of the Leaders in Philanthropy reception on June 5. Peek back at last year's event.
- Curious about UChicago's architecture? Steve Wiesenthal gives Phoenix Society members some history and plans for the campus and surrounding communities.