Established by the Board of Trustees in 2000, the Phoenix Society honors individuals who make provisions in their estate plans or establish life-income gifts to benefit the University of Chicago. These gifts provide important ways to strengthen and sustain the University's future. The Trustees' selection of the phoenix as the society's symbol recognizes the vibrant link between the University's history and its future.
We are pleased to invite you to join this unique society. Membership is extended to individuals who make one of the following commitments to the University:
- Include the University of Chicago in their estate plans;
- Create a charitable life-income arrangement (a charitable gift annuity, a charitable remainder trust or a charitable lead trust) to benefit the University;
- Name the University as a beneficiary of retirement assets or life insurance; or
- Donate a personal residence or a vacation home to the University and reserve a life estate.
The Phoenix Society offers members:
- a special memento;
- invitations to exclusive University events (see below);
- recognition in an annual Honor Roll of contributors in University publications and at special events (unless anonymity is requested).
Additionally, members of the Phoenix Society (and one guest) are welcome to attend Harper Lectures free of charge when registering in advance. To take advantage of this benefit, or to request more information, members should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, the name of their guest, and contact information.
Receive news, tips, and information about planned giving on our Facebook page.
SOCIALIZE AT ALUMNI WEEKEND
June 5 | 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
June 7 | 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Think you have all the answers? If you are planning to attend Alumni Weekend events this weekend in Chicago, be sure to stop by the main quad and visit the Phoenix Society tent, where you'll meet Phoenix Society staff and test your knowledge about gift planning and the University to win prizes.
Can't attend? Follow us on Facebook and participate in the fun.
A Celebration of Leaders in Philanthropy
June 5, 2014 | Chicago, IL
This year's Knowledge Fair at the Celebration of Leaders in Philanthropy event had it all. View pictures and learn more about the programs featured at the event.
November 1, 2013 | Chicago, IL
Phoenix Society members gathered at the University Club for a luncheon featuring Steve Wiesenthal, University architect and senior associate vice president for Facilities Services. See a slideshow and an event recap here.
Join the society
Interested in joining the Phoenix Society? Please fill out our membership form.
University Trustee and Phoenix Society chair