The Board of Trustees established the Phoenix Society in 2000 and selected the phoenix as the society’s symbol as a way of recognizing the dynamic link between the University’s history and its future.
Phoenix Society Membership
Lifetime membership is extended to individuals who make one or more of the following commitments to the University:
- Include the University of Chicago in their estate plans
- Create a charitable life-income arrangement to benefit the University
- Name the University as a beneficiary of retirement assets or life insurance
- Donate a personal residence or a vacation home to the University and reserve a life estate
There is no minimum gift amount required for membership in the Phoenix Society. To join, please fill out our membership form.
Phoenix Society Benefits
As a member of the Phoenix Society, you will receive:
- a special memento;
- invitations to exclusive University events;
- complimentary admission to Harper Lectures;
- subscriptions to Building for the Future newsletter and The University of Chicago Magazine;
- an opportunity to share your personal experiences and inspire others;
- recognition in an annual honor roll (unless anonymity is requested); and
- personalized assistance from gift planning professionals.
Your membership complements other University-wide recognition societies to which you may belong, including the Maroon Loyalty Society, the Chicago Society, and the Harper Society.
Phoenix Society Honor Roll
Phoenix Society members lead the way in supporting the University’s students, faculty, resources, and facilities through estate commitments and life-income arrangements. Such gifts provide important ways to strengthen and sustain the University’s future.
The names on the Phoenix Society Honor Roll represent members welcomed into the society from July 1, 2015, through June 30, 2016. All names are listed per member request.